According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, the definition of a strength is “a strong attribute or inherent asset”. A strong attribute – let’s break that phrase down a bit. An attribute (according to the Merriam-Webster dictionary) is an inherent characteristic also an accidental quality. So a strength can be a strong characteristic that is naturally (“accidently”) within you. An inherent asset – let’s break that statement down too. Inherent (according to the Merriam-Webster dictionary) is defined as involved in the constitution or essential character of something: belonging by nature or habit. One definition of asset (according to the Merriam-Webster dictionary) is defined as something useful in an effort to foil or defeat the enemy. (I really like this definition of asset – I’ll go into more detail as to why I feel that way). So, an inherent asset is basically a useful natural characteristic that you have aka or are born with.
So, why am I breaking down the definition strength? I am doing this because it’s important that we know what a strength truly is AND that we are all made with natural strengths that can lead us to our purpose in our lives. If we develop our natural strengths, we will be able to excel in what we were made to do. Everyone is good at something; it may just take time to develop it. This can be the missing key to you wondering “what am I meant to do on this Earth?”.
I believe that God gave us our strengths before we were born. I say this because of the Bible verses Ephesians 2:10 “For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them” and 1 Peter 4:10-11 “God has given each of you a gift from his great variety of spiritual gifts. Use them well to serve one another. Do you have the gift of speaking? Then speak as though God himself were speaking through you. Do you have the gift of helping others? Do it with all the strength and energy that God supplies. Then everything you do will bring glory to God through Jesus Christ. All glory and power to him forever and ever! Amen”. Isn’t that amazing? GOD knit us together so beautifully, and provided us with strengths that only WE have.
Before I forget, here’s my why in regards to the definition of “asset”… the definition stated that an asset is something useful in an effort to foil or defeat THE ENEMY. The devil is often referred to as the enemy. DO you think God gave us (his children) these natural strengths to defeat the enemy? I believe so, and here’s why! The devil’s main plan is to derail you from your purpose. This is because if you are living your purposeful life; you would be happy, prosperous, and you will be giving God the glory! He doesn’t want you to be happy and he DEFINITELY doesn’t want God to have any glory. So, by knowing and living your natural ‘God given’ strengths, you are basically defeating the enemy/devil! WHOA!
Some basic ways you can find out what your natural strengths are:
- A great resource is – Gallup’s Strength Finder! The basic test is only $15. It provides your top five strengths and your dominant talents. It’s a great starting place.
- Another great resource is the 16 Personalities quiz. It’s a FREE personality test. It provides strengths, your personality assessment, and professions you may be interested in.
- One more is the DISC personality test. It will help you understand why you communicate the way you do. It’s FREE and will only take you about 10 minutes to complete.
Finding out your natural strengths can:
- Help you focus on what you are good at. Especially if you are looking to change your career. You won’t have to waste time applying to jobs you know won’t fulfill you naturally.
- Give you a more positive outlook on life. When you are doing what your spirit, body, and soul are made to do, you will most likely be living a happier lifestyle.
- You will be actively living the life God destined you to live. How amazing is it to know that you are living the life you were put here to live?
Strengths are an integral part of your psyche. Once you find your natural strengths and need a plan to start developing them and changing your life fit them; contact Marlie Love Life Coaching, LLC. We will come up with a plan together to put you on the path that leads you to your destiny. The time is NOW! It’s TIME to TRANSFORM your LIFE!